Skip to main content

St. Nicholas Church 1890

Old photo of a large church
The Helsinki Cathedral, formerly St. Nicholas’ Church, is one of Helsinki's central landmarks and the "crown of the city". Engel himself noted that its "external elegance is hard to beat". The Main Guard Post below the church on the edge of the square was demolished in the 1840s, and the current steps leading up to the church terrace were built in its place. After Engel's death, other additions deviating from the original plan were made to the church, including corner towers, statues of the apostles, and terrace pavilions on both sides of the steps.