Skip to main content

St. Nicholas church, the University Main Building and the University Library

People and horses in a square in front of a large church.
A view of the northwest corner of the Senate Square in 1838. Construction on St. Nicholas’ Church and the University Library (later the National Library) was begun in 1836 and they are still unfinished. The library building designed by Engel was inaugurated in 1845. The library premises grew considerably in 1906, when the annex known as Rotunda was completed. Lithography.